Monday, May 7, 2012

Here, have a Sunday

And a walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, walking, lunch, walking, walking, walking...
At the beginning of the trip I actually had an ankle problem that was still recuperating - but now I feel completely healed. And pretty soon I'm going to have the calves of Hercules!

The day started off with walking to church. That was something I wouldn't have expected of this trip. But I guess the plan to get up early in the morning, get breakfast at the bakery (the fresh Äpfel-somethingsomething was delicious), and go as a small group of students to attend a typical German mass, all came about out of the cultural inspiration we get from being in this rich city. I'm not sure about the religious customs of the four classmates that came with me, but I'm definitely not much of a church-goer. That's what made it fun. We went to the Theatiner church, the one we were introduced to on Micheal's exciting tour. Absolutely beautiful. During the mass, while my classmates were looking down in respect, I was looking up and all around, just trying to take in the extreme amount of detail that went into the sculptures and designs of the clean white walls. The art just grew more complicated the further up I looked. I hoped the Münchners at back of me didn't mind my gaping-mouth intrigue.

The mass was very typical European styled - virtually the same thing I was used to from growing up in Poland. The highlight however was the choral group that we had especially chosen this mass-time to see. It was probably the most beautiful church music I had ever heard. The harmonies were impressive, and with the fact that the choral group was hidden behind the walls of the alter and out of sight, their voices gave the impression of invisible angels. I was glad that we went.

The walking then was geared towards museums. In Munich entrance into most museums on Sundays costs a mear one Euro, so this was our day to stroll through exhibits. Janet already blogged about most of the events that I was a part of for the rest of the day, but I do want to point out some things.

The eeriest part of the ancient Grecian sculptures collection in the Glyptothek is a hallway that is filled with busts of aristocracy. The museum had put them all in one place, and faced them in one direction. So there I was, sitting on an uncomfortably couch, getting interrogative looks from majestic looking, pupilless, white, Greek men, who all died centuries past. I talked to them about the weather.

I ended the day going to see E La Nave Va with Janet, Hannah, and Alison. That show was the absolute pinnacle of what I was expecting theater to be like in Munich. Absurd, disgusting, shameless - and damn good. So much happened so quickly, that it was hard to grasp even a majority of the language, but the performers carried it. The show was in Janet's favorite venue and had two of her favorite actors. Even though we were watching for them two, it's safe to say of the whole cast, that rather than suppressing their acting talents, the masks all the main characters were wearing only empowered their theatricality. Plus, having scored awesome seats on rush tickets, it was quite a blast
 being hit with that kind of energy from the second row in the audience.


1 comment: